Thursday, December 27, 2012

Why do I craft?

Many times I get asked the question, "why?" when people find out that I make jewelry, body products, and many other crafts and the simple answer is because it's fun.

But my explination goes deeper than that because any crafter knows that there is a bunch of work and sometimes a bit of fustration co-mingled with some disappointment that also occurs with a hobby/business of crafting.

So I will start with body products, I started making my own out of a need. I have super sensitive skin and I am always having some sort of reaction to something or another. In addition, I can use a product for a few months with no adverse reaction, just to have the weather change, or a spike in my hormones and I am all rashed up and uncomfortable. So I decided to do a bunch of research and I started making lotion and body butter.

That whole process just railroaded into me making oils and soap and powder, etc. So since I was enjoying my products, I decided to offer them to others. Making body products is HARD work; you MUST get your measurements right, you have to calculate and keep track of your precise recipes and any changes you make but again, the end result is so gratifying and other than burning feet from standing in the kitchen so long and a mess to clean up afterwards, I found the process soothing and healthy.

When my partnership dissolved in the body products business, I decided to try something new and since I LOVE jewelry I started researching beading. I bought some beads and the rest is history, I truly found my niche and I loved the artistic outlet that beading and jewelry making in general allows. From a simple bracelet (See my bracelet post), I expanded into making other types of jewelry using various beadweaving techniques. Now I have moved into polymer clay and resin and while there are still some messes to clean up, patterns or guides to follow and some soreness from sitting up for hours; beading has a calming and zen-like effect on me. It's like zoning out and meditating, I get to think over things and my mind is clear. If I am upset, I bead, and after awhile, I am calm and the matter is resolved, if I am troubled, I bead and my thoughts are instantly switched from negative to positive.

Don't get me wrong, beading, and any other craft,  is not a cure all, it's just MY way of escaping and finding some calm when I really need to think. Some like to sit in a quiet dark room; others may like to sit outside quietly on a bench, bhut as for me, I like both situations, just add some beads or clay or fabric and I am good to go.

I still make body products and I plan to sell them again and I plan to start sewing again and making purses, all of this work just turns into play and all of my frustrations and disappointments are all learning experiences and after I am holding a beautiful product that I contructed from a simple idea and some materials, it all seems worth it.

So this is the reason I craft and why I love it and find it necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you. Being creative is my "drugs and alcohol" I tell people. I zone out and relax... great post!

    ReplyDelete